Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Susan Coppock - In her own words

I have been making photographs since I was 14 years old and received a Polaroid Swinger camera for Christmas. Photography itself has come a long way in these same decades. From the posed black and white Polaroid photos of those days to the magic of the digital age has been an adventure in learning. With photography I have learned about the world, learned new ways to express my creativity, and learned about myself.

I like making photographs, not just taking them, so playing with Photoshop has been a thrill! Now, I get to take parts from photographs I have been shooting all these years, and adding new ones to create completely different and unique images. With digital imaging and Photoshop, I feel my creativity has been broadened exponentially. The future is very bright and only limited to imagination.

My business is called Night Owl Photography because I have always been a night owl when in comes to shooting photographs. I have been enthralled by the magic and beauty of the nocturnal world for most of my life. I enjoy the serendipity in being unable to visualize completely how my final images will look before I press the shutter button—the heavens seem to be in control and I love seeing what “develops.”

I have been involved in all aspects of photography since I was a teenager- I have worked in photo labs, camera stores, owned a photo studio, taught at Palomar College, owned a camera store and custom frame shop, and currently teach photography at San Dieguito Academy high school.

I hope you enjoy my vision of the world, as unusual (or crazy) as it may be…




No comments: